Broadcast Date and Time
Wed. March 15, 2017 at 2:00 PM ET
Medical malpractice liability is already a complex issue that can become even more complex when applied to telemedicine, particularly in interstate telemedicine networks where the laws of multiple states are potentially in play. There have been relatively few telemedicine malpractice cases filed to date, and even fewer publicly available court decisions. The standard of care appropriate for telemedicine is evolving in most states.
While the issues regarding medical malpractice will evolve along with the practice of telemedicine, there are sound strategies health systems, hospitals and practitioners can use to reduce the risk of malpractice claims associated with telemedicine.
Join us for this one-hour broadcast with René Quashie, Esq. of Cozen O’Connor, one of the nation’s premier experts on telemedicine and eHealth law. Mr. Quashie will share his experience on key issues related to telemedicine and malpractice.
Discussion topics will include:
- The types/sources of risk most concerning to medical malpractice carriers
- Fundamental legal concepts related to interstate practice of telemedicine, such as jurisdiction and venue (which state’s laws apply)
- Suggestions on reducing medical malpractice risk for telemedicine programs and providers
- Considerations for the bedside and remotely located clinicians
- And others
The session will allow ample time for audience questions to be addressed by the presenter.
Who Should Attend:
- Hospital and health system strategy officers, executives, and counsel
- Telemedicine program directors, managers and coordinators
- Hospital and health system financial personnel
- Medical practices providing or considering providing telemedicine services
About the Presenter:
René Y. Quashie is a member of Cozen O’Connor’s Health Care practice, focusing on a range of health care and life sciences matters, with a particular focus on telehealth, digital health, and mobile health matters. He also handles matters involving Medicare and Medicaid, legislative and health policy, general compliance, and health information technology. René helps stakeholders — including hospitals and health systems, health plans, telemedicine companies, technology companies, and digital health trade associations — handle the various legal, regulatory, and policy challenges impacting telehealth and digital health.